This overview of the Sunny Oaks Regional Activity Center at the intersection of I75 and CR 318 shows zones for an Employment Center, a Commerce District, and a Preservation Area. 

What’s the difference between a Regional Activity Center (RGAC) and a Rural Activity Center (RAC)?


The “RG” in RGAC stands for Regional. Areas with this zoning emphasize high-density uses and activities. According to the Marion County Comprehensive Plan, Objective 10.3, the Regional Activity Center (RGAC) Overlay is to “allow for compact, high intensity, high density multi-use development which may include a mix of the following uses: retail, office, housing, cultural, recreational and entertainment facilities, hospitality facilities (hotels and motels), and industrial uses that serve a regional area.”

There are two RGACs in Marion County:

  1. Marion Oaks/McGinley on 1,290 acres, which is surrounded by the Marion Oaks Subdivision on the south side of Hwy 484; and
  2. Irvine/Sunny Oaks on 453 acres, which is located on the southeastern corner of the intersection at I-75 and CR 318.


The “R” in RAC stands for Rural. Areas with this zoning are nodes of commerce, surrounded by rural land, where rural residents can meet every day needs by accessing groceries, feed stores, restaurants and small stores. There are ten Rural Activity Centers (RACs) in Marion County. We covered them extensively in this blog: https://www.horsefarmsforever.com/from-gilberts-hardware-to-dollar-general-rural-activity-centers-in-the-fpa/

The Sunny Oaks RGAC

The Sunny Oaks Planned Unit Development (PUD) is a Regional Activity Center (RGAC) with a developer’s agreement in place. It allows for residential, industrial, and commercial uses.

The Sunny Oaks PUD is labeled as Map 14b1 in the County’s comprehensive plan:

While the property is designated in the comprehensive plan as a RGAC, it must be rezoned from A-1 (General Agriculture) to PUD (Planned Unit Development). This item will be presented on February 7 at the Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. The zoning change is more of a formality rather than a land use change. 


Learn More About Sunny Oaks


Always Watching

We work hard to keep you informed, and to represent our members' interests in preserving our horse farms, farmland and the unique character and culture of Marion County's 193,000 acre Farmland Preservation Area.

Join the herd. Every voice matters.

Busy Shires

What About Zoning?

The Zoning regulations are found in the Land Development Code, which is a separate document with specific guidelines to implement the Goals, Objectives, and Policies of the Comprehensive Plan.

Zoning regulates development through land use classifications and specifies the areas in which residential, industrial, recreational or commercial activities may take place. The Land Development Code was adopted through a series of ordinances by the County Commission, which means that the regulations cannot be changed or waived, except by a further vote of the County Commission.